Tuesday, May 02, 2006

One of my favorite words

Are you a librocubicuralist? I know I am!
Back in 1985 CT and I were trying to find this word - It was in the days before the internet. I knew there was a word that meant "to sleep with a book", but not the word. I consulted dictionaries, rang the National Library of Australia (I was living in Jabiru, NT at the time) and harassed people I thought might know. Eventually CT and I gave up and went to visit a ranger friend R. R is a veritable mine of information and he said instantly "oh you mean librocubicuralist".

One New Years Day, early this century, we were all returning from a trip to the Blue Mountains and ABC radio had a competition on for people's favorite word and I entered Librocubicuralist. I had to spell it over the mobile, while J drove down the mountain. They were supposedly going to publish a poem (on their website) with all the words that had been entered, I never did see that poem.

No comments: